The Newtown Monuments consist of a large medieval cathedral, two monasteries and small church which date from 1206. On the walls of the church one will find the late 16th century alter tomb with effigies of Sir Luke Dillon and his wife. The Friary of St. John the Baptist, is the remains of a 13th century Augustinian foundation, which was later converted to a hospital in the 18th century.
The Yellow Steeple is the most prominent of the many ruins in Trim. It overlooks the town from a ridge directly opposite Trim Castle. Originally part of the 13th century St. Mary's Augustinian Abbey, the steeple dates from 1368. The black Friary of the Dominicans was founded by Geoffrey de Geneville, Lord of Meath in 1263.
During the early 1700's Jonathan Swift, author of Gullivers Travels, was presented with the Vicarage of Laracor in Trim and spent some of his happiest times in the area as judged by the 'Journal To Stella' which was published after his death. The Duke of Wellington, Sir Arthur Wellesley was educated in Trim and residents erected the Wellington Column to commemorate on of their past pupils.