Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, was constructed
over a thirty-year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Hugh de
Lacy was granted the Liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1172 in an
attempt to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare,
(Strongbow). Construction of the massive three storied Keep, the
central stronghold of the castle, was begun c. 1176 on the site of an
earlier wooden fortress. This massive twenty-sided tower, which is
cruciform in shape, was protected by a ditch, curtain wall and moat.